Preparation :- Vegetable Biryani
COOKING THE RICE:
Wash rice gently changing water several times until the water appears clear.
For fluffier rice, the rice should be soaked for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Oil is the right temperature when one cumin seed dropped into the oil cracks immediately.
Add the cumin seeds. When they crack, add the cinnamon stick and stir for a few seconds. Add the rice, cilantro, and salt. Stir-fry one minute.
Add the water and bring to a boil, turn the heat to low. Cover the pan, and Cook 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
PREPARING THE VEGETABLE BIRYANI:
when the rice is cooling, chop the veggies finely and keep aside. remember to chop the french beans very finely. they take more time to cook than other veggies. you can also blanch them first and then cook. another option is to add the beans first and then add the other vegetables..
heat oil in a wok or a pan. first add the star anise and fry for some seconds or till the oil becomes fragrant.
add the garlic and saute for some seconds. no need to brown the garlic. at this stage, you can also add ginger, if you prefer..
add the spring onions whites/scallions and saute for about 2 minutes. then add all the finely chopped veggies including the celery. increase the flame to a medium or high and stir fry the veggies.
you have to continuously toss and stir while frying so that the veggies are uniformly cooked and do not get burnt.
the veggies have to be stir fried, till they are almost cooked and yet retain their crunchiness and crispiness.
add the soy sauce, salt and pepper. stir quickly and add the rice. stir fry for a few minutes till the sauce has coated the fried rice well. keep a check when adding salt, as soy sauce already has salt in it.
FOR COOKING THE RICE:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4.5 to 5 cups water
- ½ tsp salt or as required
- 2 to 3 drops of oil
REST OF THE INGREDIENTS:
- ¼ cup each of finely chopped spring onion whites/scallions, carrots, french beans, cabbage, mushrooms, capsicum or bell peppers (green, red or yellow) or about 1.5 to 2 cups finely chopped vegetables
- 3 to 4 small sized garlic chopped or ¾ tsp finely chopped garlic.
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 1.5 to 2 tsp finely chopped celery, skip if you do not have
- 3 tsp naturally fermented soy sauce or add as required
- 1 tsp rice vinegar or regular vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper powder or add as required
- 1 star anise/chakri phool
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp sesame oil or any other oil
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions greens for garnish or adding towards the end
- salt as required